Today, for the morning James and I went through all the unused plinths, and cataloged them on lists as either spare wood or full flat pack plinths. This is so that if anyone decides that they need a plinth after yesterday, they can easily look through the list to see if we already had a suitable plinth for them, rather than having to build a new one.
In the afternoon I had booked in to make my books with Ruth at 1, however after printing the first book, I found the colours had printed out completely differently to how they had printed out on my test print before. It seems that printing from different applications can drastically alter the colours – my test print I had printed from a pdf, and for the booklet I was having to print from indesign.
While I was frantically trying to sort out the colours, Visual Communications tutor Karl had come in to the computer room and found my sheets of colour spread out across the desks. He then lent me his Pantone colour catalogue to try and see if I could rematch up the colours using it.
Finally after allot of frustration, I think I finally have it all printed correctly with the right colours. Although I was planning to have finished the books today, I will need to come back and see Ruth tomorrow to actually start binding the books.
After sleeping on the gradient I had created, today I looked back at it and found that I don’t particularly like how it looks. I feel like it is too dark and dull, and I want my swatch book and wall to be bright and vibrant shades of pink. After asking my peer , Poppy what she thought, she also felt like the gradient is too dull. This meant that I spent the rest of the day, recreating a better and brighter gradient. This final outcome I feel is allot better, and will create better swatch colours for the book. It will also look allot more appealing and satisfying on the wall, which is also a goal of mine that I want my final piece to achieve.
Today when I started to compile a list of names for my collection of colours from my surveys I found that I had two problems.
One problem was that from my ‘first names’ survey, the data I am collecting is so vast and varied that most names only come up once. I would need to collect an extremely large amount of data for it to start generating an accurate representation of name popularity. To solve this I think I will look up what the most popular female baby names were in 1997 (the year I was born) and then use this to name some of the colours.
The second problem I have found is that the list of catcalls/pet names mixed in with the popular baby names, doesnt look like a cohesive list. The mix looks and sounds odd. For this reason I think I will make two books, one named after catcalls and petnames, and another named after popular baby names. The catcalls book would be made up of the new gradient of colours I have created, while the the baby names book would be made of the original set of 38 colours I generated from my original collection of pink photos. I could also display a book of the printed pink photos along side it as a colour matching reference.
From the feedback from my tutorial with Alison yesterday, I decided to not only paint my nails pink, but to actually buy some fake pink press on nails. I don’t have very long nails at the moment, so to make some slime poking videos as aesthetically pleasing as possible, I thought that putting on fake nails would help.
It turns out that doing anything with long nails that you’re not used to, is very difficult. As you can see at the start of the video I have trouble even taking the slime out of the container. The video then ended up being out of focus completely, as I hadn’t set the focus as close as where I put the slime. It ended up that one of my fake nails actually came off in the slime, so I decided to take them all off and then just paint them pink.
I still don’t particularly like the results. There are lots of things that i can see wrong with the video; the lighting is too dark and I feel like my hands take up too much of the frame. The lighting could be improved by adding in extra lamps, however I’m not sure of how to lessen the presence of my hands in the frame. I tried lots of different ways, but my hands just end up taking up so much space. Even when trying with a different kind of slime (more liquidy) it didn’t make a difference.
Although it would be nice to try and redo this slime video with better lighting and maybe a better microphone to pick up the sounds of the slime, I feel like it would be more beneficial and productive if I just concentrate on my swatches and book. Rather than making 3 average pieces, I’d rather forget about doing the video and fully concentrate on making the swatches and book the best as it possibly can be.
After looking at the pros and cons of each of my three ideas, I have decided to develop the ‘Swatch Cards’ idea further. I think it will be the best visual representation of the research I have been doing, and will also be the most doable to a high standard of all the ideas. Now I need to start figuring out the exact dimensions of the swatch cards that I am going to display, the amount of cards I’m going to need to fill an entire wall, and also how exactly am I going to go about naming each colour.